I love teaching. So, when my son was born I wanted to teach him the word of God.
The Bible is clear about sharing God’s word with our children.
Write these commandments that I’ve given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children.
Deuteronomy 6:6 MSG
7 Simple Ways to Get the Word of God Inside Our Children.
First step in our children’s learning is an explanation about the memory verse we intend on teaching them.
- Clarify any doubts of the child regarding the scripture.
- Simplify the meaning of verse if necessary.
- Once the memory verse is understandable, it makes it super easy to learn it.
If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein.
2. Demonstration & Singing
Practically demonstrate the verse out with some actions- Putting a simple tune to the scripture. This is another effective way to teach the word of God.
A. Studies show that it is easier to memorize words of a song than words just taught by a teacher, coach or parent . Show the children some motions to go along with the tune chosen for the scripture verse.
B. Use signs and special hand or feet gestures to better demonstrate the verse. Our brains tend to remember patterns of a rhyme or song better than just oral recitation.
C.Engaging the children actively with the demonstration of scripture verse will help them to better memorize it.
Does your child have a favorite rhyme or song? Sing this everyday. Voila – you’ll have them singing that scripture in no time and enjoying it too.
Each memory has a soundtrack of its own. – Unknown
3. Sticky Notes
Having a scripture verse to look at everyday greatly reinforces learning.
You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Deut 6:9 AMP
- Write the verse on a sticky note and put it up on our children’s mirror. If our children are big enough then let them write the verse themselves.
- Every morning they look into the mirror they can repeat the memory verse.
- A written verse gives our children something to focus on, it gets their attention and makes it easier for them to remember.
Tell me I forget. Teach me I remember. Involve me and I learn – Benjamin Franklin
We could recite the verse of scripture with our children and keep repeating it, till it is memorized.
- Scripture exhorts us to talk about the word of God at all times with our kids
- Once our children master one verse we could go to the next one, reciting both verses now.
- Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Deut 6:7-8
Repetition is the mother of learning – Zig Ziglar
Deliberate practice and repetition is the most important technique to teach our children Gods word. Speak it and repeat it with them in the house, out of the house, while eating, while playing and while doing household chores.
By using these simple tips my 9 year old son now has many scriptures verses hidden inside His heart.
This is the beginning of teaching our children to bring Gods word back to Him in prayer.
- When my son prays for his healing, he is able to say ” Lord, by your stripes I am healed ” Isaiah 53:5
- When my son prays for a desire he is able to say ” Lord as I delight in you, you grant me the desires of heart ” Psalm 37:4
What’s Your Goal?
Do you desire to teach your children the word of God?
What ideas can you share with us about teaching our children the word of God. I would love to hear them.
I love Jesus, a strong cuppa coffee and gummy bears. My passion as a leader in church, is to teach Women and children the word of God and encourage them to grow in the knowledge of Christ. My greatest adventures are my wonderful husband and precious son. When I am not blogging, you can find me at my piano, singing a new song or watching my son play soccer.